Tuesday, February 16, 2010

No Force...


The irony of my first post is that right now I'm not that enthused about being physical. Although my enthusiasm for different activity modalities changes, I'm still entranced with improving my running; maybe even running one more marathon, especially if there's a posse of girlfriends and a destination like Eugene, Oregon to bait me. However, I've been packing up my home in readiness to put my house on the market (wish me luck) and I'm flat tired. Speed training, thirty plus miles a week, and even the prospect of a relaxing water jog does not excite me one bit.

"Great" you're thinking, "Here's this new blogger who professes to love movement, live for it, and even she can't get her butt out the door."


Maybe that's the point, even those of us who love and crave activity don't always want to exercise--we hurt, get discouraged, bored, depressed, and injured. But, we keep chipping away, doing something to stay active to not totally lose the little bit of cardio improvement, weight control, or contentment that physical activity gives us.


Rather than beating myself up for not going to speed session this a.m., I congratulated myself for choosing not to go out in 20 degree weather when my low back is tight as a tick, and my right hamstring feels as if it has an alien living in it. Instead, I chose to hike with a friend later in the day when it will be a tad warmer and our constant chatter will distract me from the cold.


I have my daughter, Colette, and a workshop, Intro to Qi Gong, that I took at the weekend to remind me of the one principal I can say "I believe in". No Force is a Hakomi principal that allows me to step back from actions that I'm trying to make happen, like going to speed session because I don't want to let my friends down, lose training, or look like a wimp even though my body is exhausted and on the verge of injury. By allowing myself to not exercise, without judgment, allowed the possibility of an alternative way to be physical and thus I avoided the greatest threat to
becoming a consistent exerciser--non-compliance.

7 comments:

  1. Great blog! And you are oh so right that we need to respect the wisdom of the body and not force it to go places that could cause harm---especially as we age. I like the term "No Force." Write more about it.
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fitting that you are the first to comment on my blog. Remember, how you said in school only a few things stick. Well, in all the energy somatic work that I've done in my massage therapy the concept of "No Force" resonated with me. I'm a fixer, someone who always thinks there should be an answer when sometimes it's better to let things unfold and give them space. Of course the skill is to know when action is appropriate; fortunately I have great friends and mentors to help me figure that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately, it's often the most important things that stick, while the lesser stuff rolls off as soon as we've proven that we could learn it.
    I thought of your blog as I watched the male Olympic skaters last night. Many continue to attempt the quad, despite frequent falls, injuries, and loss of artistic focus on their programs. Some of them very openly admit that it's crazy, but still feel the need to include it, despite high personal and professional risks. How unfortunate that they can't let their programs flow more beautifully and naturally rather than FORCING something that's so unhealthy.
    G

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched that too. The French skater looked so pained when he messed up early on. The young Canadian, although his routine wasn't perfect, was lovely to watch in comparison.
    Thanks G for being engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Respecting his physical abilities and limits worked well for Lysacek--won gold without the silly quad! I'm so happy for him:) What a beautiful skate!
    G

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoooey! Loved your first, v intellectual, post and follow up threads. Looking forward to the next one already. Reckon my posts always sound a bit tired as I do them in the eve - yours sounds sooo fresh! Congrats.
    Also appreciated the link to Colette's blog - fab pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, Thanks Fiona; Your blog was my inspiration to have my own. I'm not a full-time assistant head teacher and your posts don't sound tired. I think our own words always sound lame to ourselves, but hopefully not to others.

    ReplyDelete